Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Indo-USSTF-WARI fellowship, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, USA
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Endeavour Research fellowship, University of Newcastle, Australia
Doctor of Philosophy, Biotechnology (Spl. in Microbial Biotechnology), Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, India.
Master of Science, Applied Microbiology, PSG College of Arts and Science, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, India.
Bachelor of Science, Microbiology (Spl. Immunology), The American, College, Madurai Kamaraj University, India.
Core Research Interests
Water purification using microbes and nanomaterials, Nano (bio) technology based approach for tissue engineering
Honors & Awards
Recipient of Water Advanced Research and Innovation (WARI) Fellowship
Indo-US Science and Technology forum (IUSSTF) 2016 – 2017
Selected as Emerging Water Professional for EWPP program in at International river symposium
Organized by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Govt. of Australia held at New Delhi Sept 12-14, 2016
Recipient of Endeavour Research Fellowship
Department of Education, Govt. of Australia 2015
PK Das Best Faculty award in Nanotechnology for the year
Nehru group of Institutions, Coimbatore 2015
Invited as a guest speaker by India-Brazil-South Africa (IBSA dialogue forum on ‘Water treatment and sensors for water pollution detection’)
Birchwood hotel and OR Tambo conference centre, Johannesburg, South Africa 4th & 5th April, 2014
Blaustein Postdoctoral fellowship award
Zuckerberg Institute for Water Research, Israel 2013
Received Invention award on fabrication of three dimensional scaffolds for tissue engineering
Intellectual Ventures, USA 2012
Received DST-International Travel Grant for attending Asia Nano2008 conference
Received Certificate of Recognition from Vice Chancellor and Syndicate of Bharathiar university for presenting paper at Asia Nano2008 conference
CSIR – Senior Research Fellow Award
Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India 2008
Senior Research Fellow Award
Defence Research and Developmental Organization, Government of India 2007
Junior Research Fellow Award
Defence Research and Developmental Organization, Government of India 2004
Received Academic Award for Distinction in B.Sc.
Overview of Current Research
- Nanobio-approach for environmental remediation
- Nanobio-based material development for water purification
- Effluent treatment
- Global Centre for Environmental Remediation (GCER), University of Newcastle, Australia.
- Department of Biotechnology, IIT Madras, Chennai, India
- Silver Crown Industries, Coimbatore
- Biomolecule functionalized scaffolds/nanocarriers for human meniscal tissue engineering
- Functionalized bioink development for 3D bioprinting of cartilage and other tissue engineering applications
- Ortho One Orthopaedic Speciality Centre, Coimbatore, India.
- PSG Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Coimbatore, India
- Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, India
- Innov4Sight Health and Biomedical Systems Private Limited, Bangalore, India
- Arya Vaidya Pharmacy Research Foundation, Coimbatore, India.
Research Grants- As Principal Investigator
- Bio-electrochemical reclamation of titanium and other rare earth metals from red mud waste using a microbial fuel cell approach, Funded by Ministry of Mines, (SNTMOM/331/2020) (2021-2022) (Approved).
- Recovery of yttrium from spent process water after uranium extraction using surface modified magnetic core shell zirconium oxide nanoparticles” Funded by Water Technology Initiatives-Department of Science and Technology (WTI-DST), New Delhi. (DST/TMD-EWO/WTI/2K19/ EWFH/ 2019/117)-Action Research Stream; (2020-2023) (Ongoing).
- Pilot scale demonstration of nanobubble technology for chromium removal from electroplating industry effluent (Technology Mission Division- Department of Science and Technology (DST/TMD(EWO)/OWUIS-2018/TS-4 (G)) (2019-2022) (Ongoing).
- Development of gold nanoparticle based electrochemical immunosensor for snake venom detection using chicken egg yolk antisnake venom antibodies (IgY), Funded by. Indian Council of Medical research (ICMR), Govt. of India,(2018-2021) (Ongoing).
- Design and development of lab scale prototype water purification system using modified hydroxyapatite based nanocomposites for removal of strontium in ground water Funded by. Water Technology Initiatives-Department of Science and Technology (WTI-DST), New Delhi. (2017-2020) (Completed).
- Development of hybrid nanozyme-bacterial hydrogels for augmentation of uranium leaching from subsurface soil (PI) Funded by. Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC), New Delhi (2016-2017) (Completed).
- Hydroxyapetite based ceramic adsorbent for strontium removal from drinking water (PI). Funded by. Water technology Initiatives-Department of Science and Technology (WTI-DST), New Delhi. (2014-2016) (Completed).
- Microbial and chemical synthesis of TiO2 nanoparticles and its application in the development of impregnated nanofibrous membrane for nitrate and fluoride removal from drinking water (PI). Funded by. DRDO-LSRB, New Delhi. (2012-2014)(Completed).
- Development of Nanoporous S-layer Based Ceramic Membranes (Biocer) for Lanthanide and Simulated Actinide Separation (PI). Funded by. Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), DAE, Kalpakkam, India. (2010-2012) (Completed).
- Development of electrochemical biosensor for breast cancer detection using nanoparticle / CNT doped CA15-3 antibody and antigen interaction (PI). Funded by. PSG STEP-VILGRO Students project scheme (2011-2012) (Completed).
- Development of Portable, Microfluidic NH4+ Ion Selective Electrochemical Sensor Platform based on Functional Nano-TiN Films for Re-Circulating Aquaculture Systems for Sustainable Environment Funded by Water Technology Initiatives-Department of Science and Technology (WTI-DST), New Delhi (2019-2022) (Ongoing).
- Development of textile based nano hybrids as smart singlet oxygen generators (Co-I). Funded by. Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS). (2014-2017) (Completed).
- Surface activated nanofibrous scaffold for meniscal tissue engineering (Co-I). Funded by. Tamilnadu state council for science and technology (TNSCST). (2014-2016)(Completed).
SERB- National post doctoral fellowship
(N-PDF scheme)(through mentorship)
- Dr. G. Ramadoss, Development of nano-bio solution for the treatment of textile industry effluent: A novel hybrid approach (2016-2018)(Completed).
- Dr. C. Revathi, Functionalized MWCNTs and polymer modified Manganese di oxide (MnO₂) nanostructures (rods, sheets and porous) based printed electrodes for trace level detection of nitrite (NO²-) in ground water (2017-2019) (Completed).
Doctoral Research (Ph.D) – Awarded
- Dr. S.P.Suriyaraj, Microbially synthesized TiO 2 nanoparticle based bio-nanocomposite impregnated nanofiber membrane for fluoride and nitrate removal from drinking water, Bharathiar University (2016)(Awarded).
- Dr. Mamatha M Pillai, Biomolecules supplemented scaffold free and scaffold systems for human knee meniscus tissue engineering: an in vitro study, Bharathiar University (2017)(Awarded).
- Ms. Elakiyya Venugopal, In Vitro Evaluation of WattakakaVolubilis Active Components Incorporated Nanocarriers For Cartilage And Bone Tissue Engineering, Bharathiar University (2018) (Awarded).
- Ms. N.Seethalakshmi, Microbial And Chemical Synthesis Of Magnesium Doped Hydroxyapatite Nanomaterial For Strontium Removal From Drinking Water, Bharathiar University (2018) (Thesis Submitted).
Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) – Awarded
- Ms. H.Lakshmipriya, Porous three dimensional Silk-PVA hybrid scaffolds for human osteoblast MG63 cell attachment and proliferation in vitro, Bharathiar University (2017) (Awarded)
- Ms. R.Poorvisha, Templated (Bacterial/Nanofiber) and Cation Doped Biocompatible Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles for Fluoride and Strontium Removal, Bharathiar University (2015) (Awarded)
- Mr. S.P.Suriyaraj, Microbial synthesis of titanium dioxide nanoparticles and its application for removal of fluoride from aqueous solution. Bharathiar University (2014)(Awarded)
- Mrs.Priya Gopinathan, Impact of silver nanoparticle decorated flagellar bionanocomposites on electrode performance in microbial fuel cells used for dye degradation Solution, Bharathiar University (2012)(Awarded).
Book chapters written
Patent / Technology Transfer
Technology Transfer :
IN-819376: Titled “Design, fabrication & method of producing micro, meso & nanoporous three dimensional(3D) scaffolds for tissue engineering using removable needle technology” through intellectual ventures, USA.
(IN-819376 (RFI-090182) dated 10 th October 2011)
Simultaneous removal of chromium and TDS from electroplating industry using nanobubble technology
Technology transferred to Silver Crown Industries, Coimbatore
Indian Patent filed/in progress :
Improved method of bacterial mediated biosynthesis of zirconium oxide nanoparticles
(Application no: 201741037496 dated 26.04.2019)
Production of cellulose membrane from cotton microdust
(Application No: 202041005994 Dated 12/02/2020)
Microbial Sequence Submitted to NCBI-GenBank (5)
GenBank accession number: (i) EU182579 (Published), (ii) JX469598 (published), (iii) JX469599 (published), (iv) KJ399985 (published), (v) KY851113 (unpublished)
- Dr.Mamatha M.Pillai, Post Doctoral Fellow, Dept of Bioscience and Bioengineering, IIT Bombay, Mumbai.
- Dr.S.P.Suriyaraj, Post Doctoral Fellow, Dept of Biotechnology, IIT Madras, Chennai.
- Dr.G.Ramadoss, Assistant Professor, Dept of Biotechnology, Saveetha University, Chennai
- Dr. C. Revathy, Avinashi, Tirupur
- Dr.V.Elakiyya, Bangalore
- Ms. R. Poorvisha, Proprietor, Classic Finishers, Salem
- Ms. Lakshmi Priya, Coimbatore
- Ms. Janani G, PhD Research Scholar, IIT Guwahati
- Ms. Steffi Mano, PhD Research Scholar, NUS, Singapore
- Mrs. Ponjanani S, PhD Research Scholar, NUS, Singapore
- Ms. Ashwini G, Hyderabad
- Ms. Aneesiya Varkey, Junior Research Fellow, St. Johns Research Instititute, Bangalore
- Ms. Manjoosha Y R, PhD Research Scholar, IIT Hyderabad
- Ms. Akshaya T R, MS Research Fellow, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Chicago
- Mrs. Priya Gopinathan, Ph.D Scholar, Microfluidic Biochip lab, Institute of Nano Engineering and MicroSystems, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- Dr. Aravindh Selvaraj, Director, Elies Biotech, Erode
- Journal of Hazardous Materials (Elsevier publications), Water Research Journal (Elsevier publications), Journal of Environmental Management (Elsevier publications), Chemical Engineering Journal (Elsevier publications), International Journal of Environment and Waste Management (Inderscience publications), Separation Science and Technology (Taylor and Francis publications), Waste and Biomass Valorization (Springer publications), Journal of Microbial & Biochemical Technology (OMICS publishing group), Journal of Colloids and Interfaces B (Elsevier publications).
Membership in Institutional Bodies
- Working Group Member, Centre for Environmental Analyses & Solutions, PSG institutions
- Working Group Member, Waste Management group, PSG institutions
- Member of Editorial board of PSGCASearch Journal(ISSN 2320 – 2254)
Membership in Professional Bodies
- Life Member of Association of Microbiologist of India (AMI) (AMI/LM-197/2011)
- Life Member of Materials Research Society of India (MRSI)
- Life Member of Society for Biotechnology, India.
- Life Member of Indian Society of Society of Systems for Science and Engineering.
- Member of Australia Global Alumni, Dept. of Education and training,Govt. of Australia
Editorial Board membership in Journals
- Member of Editorial board Clinical Trials in Orthopedic Disorders (ISSN: Print -2542-4157, Online – 2542-4165)
- International Journal of Life Sciences & Research, (ISSN 2321 – 7812)
- Accounts of Biotechnology Research (ISSN-2350-0656)
- International Journal of Emerging Technology and Research (ISSN no: 2347 – 5900)
Other Academic activities
- Program Coordinator- MS Material Science and Engineering (University of Newcastle, Australia)- at PSG institute of Advanced Studies
- Admission Coordinator- Bharathiar University related research programs at PSG institute of Advanced Studies
- Invited lectures delivered at National and International levels: 50.
- Board of Studies member, Dept of Biotechnology, Adiyaman College of Engineering, Hosur (2014-2016).
- Board of Studies member, Dept of Biomedical Engineering, KPR college of Engineering, Coimbatore (2019-2020).
- Board of Studies member, Dept of Nanotechnology, Karunya institute of Technology, Coimbatore (2020-2021).
- Doctoral committee member for Ph.D Students of Anna University, Chennai.
- Doctoral committee member for Ph.D Students of Bharathiar University Chennai.
- Expert committee member for syllabus setting for Dept. of Nanoscience and Technology, TNAU, Coimbatore.
Current Research Team- Ph. D Research Scholars
Ms. P. Nithya – Nagerathinam Research Fellow & Lab manager
Area of Research : Bio-functionalised nanomaterial for mitigation of antibiotic resistant bacteria in hospital effluents
Registration : Bharathiar University, Since 2017.
Ms. S. Janani – JRF-ICMR project- Ultracentrifuge incharge
Area of Research : Biosensor for snake venom detection,
Registration : Bharathiar University, Since 2019.
Tissue Engineering Group
Mrs. R. Narmadha – PSGIAS fellow & Lab Manager
Area of Research : Nanocarriers for Endometrium Regeneration
Registration : Bharathiar University, Since 2017.
Mr.P.B.Sathish – PSGIAS fellow (ICP-OES/ DLS/ UV-vis Spectrophotometer, 3D Bioprinter incharge)
Area of Research : Functional bioink development for 3D bioprinting of cartilage,
Registration : Bharathiar University, Since 2019.
Mr. E. Sujith Subash
Area of Research : Ayurvedic biology and tissue engineering
Registration : Bharathiar University, Since 2013.
Junior Research Fellows
Mr. C. M. Gokulraj (DST-TMD project-Water Research) (Bioreactors-incharge)
Mr. G. Alagharsamy (DST-WTI Project- Water Research) (MP-AES incharge)